Main Page Divisional Offices Info/Forms Opinions Juror Information Pacer Holidays Employment Links Electronic Case Filing
Judge Jon E. DeGuilio - Frequently Asked Questions

Judge Jon E. DeGuilio
124 Robert A. Grant Federal Building
204 South Main Street
South Bend, IN 46601
(574) 246-8170

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do parties have to use CM/ECF?
A: Yes. Effective January 1, 2005, the use of CM/ECF is mandatory, unless a party has been relieved of such requirement by the court.

Q: Where should parties send proposed orders?
A: If the order relates to a non-dispositive motion, or the scheduling/rescheduling/continuance of a conference/hearing scheduled before the assigned Magistrate Judge, the order should be e-mailed to that judge's chambers. If the order relates to a dispositive motion, or the scheduling/rescheduling/continuance of a conference/hearing scheduled before Judge DeGuilio, the order should be e-mailed to his chambers. The orders should be in WordPerfect or Microsoft Word format and emailed to the judge's chambers
(judge's last

Q: What do the initials after each case number mean?
A: The initials after the case number refer to the presiding judge assigned to the case and the magistrate judge to whom the case has been referred for non-dispositive matters. For example, a case assigned to Judge DeGuilio and referred to Magistrate Judge Nuechterlein would have JD/CAN after the cause number listed on the docket sheet.

Q: What does the magistrate judge handle?
A: The magistrate judge assigned to each case handles all non-dispositive motions, as well as, case management issues, such as discovery deadlines and trial settings. Forms of order for those motions should be sent to the appropriate chambers.

Q: Can counsel attend proceedings before the Court telephonically?
A: Yes. In certain instances, the judge will allow counsel or parties to attend proceedings by telephone upon request of the parties and court order, if not already scheduled as a telephonic proceeding.

Q: Does the Court have a motion call day?
A: No, there is no specific motion call day. A party that wants oral argument should request it via a motion.

Q: Does the Court require the parties to engage in mediation?
A: Parties must comply with Local Rule 16.6(b), Federal Rule 26, and General Order 2003-21, in that an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process must be considered, and the results reported to the Court. The courtroom deputy will check to see if mediation or ADR has taken place once a brightline notice has been entered in the case.

Q: What time does court start during a trial?
A: Court starts at 9:30 a.m. during a trial. Attorneys, however, should plan on arriving by 9:15 a.m. Court generally ends by 5:00 p.m., but the time may vary depending on the circumstances of the trial. There is generally a short morning break, a lunch break, and a short afternoon break at some point during each day of the trial.

Q: Can I get a demonstration of the technology available in the courtroom?
A: Yes, please contact the courtroom deputy, Scott Jackson, at (574) 246-8171 to set up an appointment.

Q: What should be in the pretrial order?
A: Please refer to Federal Rule 16 and Appendix A to the Northern District of Indiana Local Rules for a sample proposed pre-trial order.

Q: What happens at a final pretrial conference?
A: The final pretrial conference generally occurs about one month before trial in a civil case, and about two weeks before trial in a criminal case. The purpose of the conference is to resolve any last minute issues, answer any questions the parties have about trial procedures, and, if time allows, rule on any pending motions.

Send comments to INND Webmaster