You are here

Naturalization FAQs

  • I lost my Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization and need it to obtain a passport. How do I get a copy of the certificate?

    The Clerk’s office does not keep or provide Certificates of Citizenship. The Certificate must be obtained from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. More information is available at:, or by calling (800) 870-3676, or (800) 375-5283.  The Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document (form number N-565) and instructions for completing the form are available online.

  • Can I process my passport application with the clerk’s office?

    The United States Postal Service processes passport applications.  Passport applications are available at  The USPS Locator link finds the nearest Post Office that accepts passport applications.
    The U.S. Department of State provides additional information regarding passports at:

  • I’m a naturalized citizen and I would like to change my name. What's the procedure?

    Name changes will ONLY be granted if the new citizen attends the naturalization ceremony and completes a Name Change Petition. If the name was not changed on that day, then you must to contact your local County Court Clerk’s office for the proper procedures and costs.