You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where can I view the local rules?
  • What is the filing fee for a civil case?
  • What are the hours of the clerk's office?

    The Fort Wayne and South Bend offices are open Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 4:00 p.m. (Eastern time).

    The Hammond office is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 4:00 p.m. (Central time).

    The Lafayette office is open Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm, and 1:00 pm - 4:00 p.m. (Eastern time).

  • What are the admission fees?
  • Should I submit a Civil Cover Sheet (JS 44)?

    The JS 44 civil cover sheet neither replaces nor supplements the filing and service of pleadings or other papers as required by law. This form, approved by the Judicial Conference of the United States in September 1974, is required for the use of the Clerk of Court for the purpose of initiating the civil docket sheet. Consequently, a civil cover sheet is to be submitted to the Clerk of Court for each civil complaint filed. The attorney filing a case should complete the form in accordance with instructions on the back of the form. If you have any questions, please contact the Help Desk.

  • Do you accept faxed filings?

    Faxed filings are NOT accepted by the office of the clerk. If a judge's office gives you permission to fax a pleading, an electronic version must also be filed in the CM/ECF system.

  • Do I have to be admitted to practice to the Northern District of Indiana Court before I can file any papers?

    Pursuant to Local Rule 83.5(a), in all cases filed in, removed to, or transferred to this court, all
    parties, except as provided in subsection (c), must be represented of record by a member of the bar
    of this court. Pursuant to Local Rule 83.5(c), a person not a member of the bar of this court shall not
    be permitted to practice in this court or before any officer thereof as an attorney, unless (1) such
    person appears on his or her own behalf as a party, or (2) such person is admitted to practice in any
    other United States Court or the highest court of any state and is, on application to this court, granted
    leave to appear in a specific action and pays the required fee (which is one-half of the fee required
    for admission to the bar of this court), or (3) such person appears as attorney for the United States,
    or any agency thereof or any officer of the United States or of an agency thereof. Information
    regarding Admission to Practice to the Northern District of Indiana can be located on our web site

  • Can I take pleadings directly to the judge's office?

    No, all pleadings must be filed electronically or submitted to the clerk’s office for filing.

  • Can an attorney e-file a document for another attorney?
    Pursuant to Fed. R. Civ. P. 11, every pleading, motion, and other paper (except lists, schedules,
    statements or amendments thereto) shall be signed by at least one attorney of record or, if the party
    is not represented by an attorney, all papers shall be signed by the party. An attorney’s / participant’s
    password issued by the court combined with the user’s identification, serves as and constitutes the
    attorney / participant’s signature for Rule 11 and other purposes. See the CM/ECF User Manual,
    Section I.C. or if you have any further questions, please contact the Help Desk.
    Information regarding CM/ECF Registration and Attorney Appearance forms can be located on our
    web site at