Contract Court Reporter Information:
Under the Court Reporter Statute, 28 U.S.C. Section 753 (g), the district courts (and the bankruptcy courts as units of the district courts) may contract for court reporting services when necessary. Linked below are the documents incorporated by reference in all contracts for court reporter services.
- Court Reporter Act, 28 U.S.C. § 753
- Guide to Judiciary Policy, Vol 6: Court Reporting, Chapter 5, Section 520 - Transcript Format
- Guide to Judiciary Policy, Vol 6: Court Reporting, Chapter 5, Section 530 - Fees
In compliance with the Judicial Conference Policy on Privacy and Public Access to Electronic Case Files – electronic transcripts of court proceedings, once ordered by a party or the court and produced by official court reporters, are filed in the court’s CM/ECF system, and available for public inspection (but not copying) at the Clerk’s office public terminals as soon as they are filed, as required by the Court Reporter Act, 28 U.S.C. § 753.
For 90 days after filing, anyone wishing to purchase a copy of an e-filed transcript – in either paper or electronic form – must do so through the court reporter who prepared the transcript. (Court reporters are identified by name on the docket -- see contact information below.) During this 90-day period, and before electronic public access to transcripts is available through PACER, the Judicial Conference of the United States (JCUS) policy establishes procedures for the redaction by attorneys of personal data identifiers in transcripts. (See also Fed. R. Civ. P. 5.2 and Fed. R. Crim. P. 49.1).
Maximum transcript rates are established by the Judicial Conference of the United States (JCUS) and in accordance with General Order 2011-13.
- AO 336 Voucher for Attendance Fees for Contract Court Reporters
- AO 435 - Transcript Order Form
- 7th Circuit Information Sheet
For all other transcript requests, please contact the Official Court Reporter.
Information and Additional Policies:
- Northern District of Indiana Policy on Electronic Availability of Transcripts
- Court Reporter Transcript Fees (General Order 2011-13)
- Flowchart of Transcript of Redaction/Restriction
- Procedure for Filing Contract/Substitute Court Reporter Notes
- Court Reporters Duties
- Travel Guidelines for Court Reporters
- Contract Court Reporting
- Transcript Format